Monday, July 23, 2012

Senators with Breasts.


This story is inspired by something very positive that happened to me lately. It all began with great news, when a colleague of mine came to me, to announce that I had been selected to be represented on the Gender Advisory Committee of my organization. Excited and humbled, I grabbed the offer and then a conversation started. They said I was considered for the position because of my current extra-curricular work on gender equality, women’s access to contraceptives and my strong commitment to the cause for women. It then culminated into a general discussion on gender and women and so on, then all of a sudden, one of my colleagues turned to me and excitedly released the following question: “Are you a feminist?” with a wide grin on her face, lots of enthusiasm and positive expectations. I didn’t even hesitate to say, “No”.
Very very disappointed, she turned back and continued her business as usual. Then she turned again towards me and asked why.
I explained that there is a lot of controversy around feminism and I don’t really want to be part of it. And that moreover, feminism is usually associated with lesbianism which I don’t really appreciate. In my head I concluded:  “I’m a gender activist and gender-sensitive woman, and that’s it, End of discussion.” Everyone dispersed and continued with business as usual.
This phenomenon triggered so many questions and thoughts in my brain for several weeks following that day.
I started doing research and googling on the key debates surrounding feminism and the various schools of thought on this issue. I came across a plethora of feminist branches including Marxist Feminists, Womanism, post-colonial feminism, Motherism, Stiwanism, Transnational feminism, Anarcha Feminism, Social feminism, sex positive feminism, the feminist sex wars debate, the growth of the feminist punk movement and even lipstick feminism, haha.
And even though all these movements may slightly differ in approach, angles, ideology or concepts,I noticed that they all interestingly share the same belief about gender equality. Why should women not be given the same opportunities as men, simply because they are women? That’s the underlying research question which cut across all the feminist schools of thought that I came across, be they supporters of female writers, politicians, entrepreneurs, sex workers, housewives, petty traders, social workers and so on. It’s the same message. And of course, there would always be extremists and fanatics in every movement or cause, but that should in no way propel questions on the integrity of the movement or compel others to instigate hate or undermine the work of the group. That is the case with feminism today.
Feminism has grown to be interpreted by individuals according to their realities and personal situations and should be thus respected as such. I once accompanied a friend last year to the post office in down town Antigonish Nova Scotia. She wanted to send a document to a friend, and demanded that all her names be put on it as the sender. After prompting the woman at the counter to write down all her three names, she then insisted that her husband’s name be added unto it. Sort of wife of...
Well, the lady explained that there was not enough space on the envelope for that, but when my friend insisted, I quickly observed that the lady couldn’t understand why it was necessary and hence gave a very confused expression on her face. “Why is that even necessary Ma’am?” She asked in a very sarcastic tone. Then my friend answered very boldly “Well he’s my husband”.  The lady sighed again while nodding her head and said “Well, I’m a feminist. I just can’t help it”.
Now, I know my friend on the other hand is also a strong feminist, so I immediately got it!
What I got is, the lady at the counter is an I-don’t-need-a-man feminist, which is okay by the way, if she thinks she doesn’t need a man to feel like a woman. Fine. That’s her choice. Then my friend is an I’m-married- I-love-my-husband-and-believe-in-gender-equality feminist, which is also great if you choose to see feminism from an economic point of view.
 I mean, feminism involves a wide set of movements, theories and philosophies which are concerned with the issue of gender difference, and are thus interpreted as such. I even came across one slogan which read “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.” Ha-ha, very funny. But for me, not so true!!
And then I started reflecting again. Why the hell did I think for a second that I am not a feminist? What is the overall message of feminism that doesn’t tie with my principles? How could I be a gender activist, and not a feminist? Hmmm.
Then it all started making sense. It all boils down to one clear logical point. A feminist is an advocate or supporter of the rights and equality of women. What else do we wanna add or take off from this?

Well, I just can’t help it. I’m a feminist!!

1 comment:

  1. you are right Mallah.
    Harrap 21st ceentury dictionary defines feminism as (a belief or movement advocating the cause of women's rights and opportunities, particularly equal rights with men, by challenging inequalities between the sexes in society.) and a feminist is someone who adheres to this belief.

    ReplyDelete

My Favorite books

  • How Amazing Women Lead
  • Ripples From The Zambezi
  • The Children of Afrikville
  • The Media Are America
  • Thief in The Night

Do you find this blog interesting?

Powered By Blogger